SUGAR!

This is a short entry...  VERY short.  And to the point!  We don't eat white sugar anymore.  Period.

(Now wait a minute... Let me make myself clear on something.  We don't have it in our home.  But if someone brings us treats, or if my kids go to a friend's house or a party/gathering with treats, I let them decide if they're going to eat it or not.  I don't 'BAN' then from eating any junk food at all.  That's what fanatics do.

I know that my kids will once in a while give in & eat junk food.  That's fine.  Ya know why?  Because it's fun.  It's a treat.  It's something out of the ordinary.  Guess what...  On rare occasion, I've been known to cheat too ;)  However,  9 times out of 10, my kids inevitably end up sick to their stomach, or they get a bad headache, or they're grumpy for several hours, or they break out in rashes!  They tell me almost every time (no joke!) that it was good for about the first 3 bites, but then it was just not worth it.  They're choosing themselves to eat less... and less... and less white/refined/packaged/artificial foods, because they now recognize the effects it has on how they feel.  Even my 7 year old son will once in a while say slugging into the room, "Mom, I think I ate too much sugar".  (Not very often, but it DOES happen).

How do we deal with not eating sugar???  Who does that!!!?  I hear people all the time say they could never ever get off sugar.  They like it too much!  It's just a part of our diet.  Give up sweets?  NO WAY. (Believe me.  I know.  We had CANS AND BUCKETS FULL of sugar in our food storage, & I rotated it regularly!!!)

First of all, if you just stop eating it, your craving for it WILL go away.  In just a few days, or a couple of weeks at most!  Second of all, it is making people sick.  It is over time... killing people.  It is poison. Did you know that there are people that are so addicted to sugar, that when they get off, they actually go through withdrawal period and feel WORSE than they did when they ate it!? Most people don't feel that.  So don't worry, it probably won't happen to you.  But if it does, it IS temporary.  I promise.  That said, here is our solution to no white sugar (or brown sugar) in our home:

If a recipe calls for "white sugar", we use all xylitol, OR 1/2 organic coconut palm sugar & 1/2 xylitol!

If a recipe calls for "brown sugar" (white sugar with molasses mixed in), we use either brown xylitol or organic coconut palm sugar, or a mixture of both.  You can't tell the difference, & it's full of nutrients!  (To make brown xylitol - mix 1 c. xylitol with 1 Tb. un-sulfured molasses & mix!)

Other sweeteners we use are Stevia, organic agave nectar (raw is healthiest, but harder to find), organic 100% maple syrup, brown rice syrup, un-sulphured molasses, & rapidura (unrefined crystallized cane syrup with nutrients still in tact :)

See the 'sweeteners & stuff' page for more info on the benefits of natural sweeteners.  (PS: White & brown sugar are not natural.  Mother Nature does not recognize them!)

Soon, I'll be posting about an awesome whole grain - nutritious substitute for white flour that you can use in cakes, cookies, & more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it positive, informative, helpful, & family friendly! In other words... HAPPY, & PG :)